Perry Barr Residential Scheme
Perry Barr was at the heart of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, with the redeveloped Alexander Stadium hosting the athletics as well as the memorable opening and closing ceremonies.
More than £700m of public sector investment has been a catalyst for growth in the area, with the Perry Barr 2040: A Vision for Legacy masterplan setting out strident plans for new homes, attractive green spaces, and the creation of a diverse, high quality town centre at the heart of Birmingham’s best-connected suburb.
Within and adjacent to the masterplan area there is some 60 hectares of brownfield land which will provide for more than 5,000 new homes and associated and supporting uses over the next two decades.
- £750m public sector investment
- Phase 1 residential scheme underway – c. 1,000 new homes under development
- Existing consent for c. 2,300 homes across the area
- Potential for a total of more than 5,000 homes over 20 years
Why invest in Birmingham?
Birmingham, the UK’s second city is the urban heart of the West Midlands. It offers unparalleled connectivity, cultural diversity and economic buzz.
The Big City Plan has transformed the city centre, attracting a new mix of business services, tech, creative industries and life sciences, with a specialised focus on advanced manufacturing and green industry.
The city of a thousand trades, as Birmingham was once known, is now the city of a thousand start-ups, 8,000 acres of green space, one hundred languages, 90,000 university students and leading restaurants serving 27 different national cuisines.
Birmingham’s population is also one of the youngest in Europe and is growing fast and expected to reach 1.25 million over the next 20 years.
This is a golden decade for Birmingham, when the 2022 Commonwealth Games, urban regeneration programmes and the arrival of HS2 will transform the city, its public profile, its connectivity, and its offer to businesses and residents, placing Birmingham at the heart of the West Midlands’ economic revival.
Insight for investors
- Type of investment sought: Development partner or funder
- Value and cost info: £180m GDV (phase one)
- Site size: 60+ hectares
- Timescale: 2022 – 2040
- Delivery timescale: 1 – 5 years
- Planning status: Full planning approval in place for Phase 1 of the residential development, along with outline consent for Phase 2. The wider regeneration of Perry Barr will be guided by the Perry Barr 2040: Vision for Legacy masterplan adopted February 2022.